Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An Armored Jae-hak draws near

I was going to write this as a comment, then I realized I could just do it as a post. Here’s my positive reactions to Kickass’s video game top 20:

- Ballsy to do a cross-system top-20.

- Zelda is a solid number one. It’s over 20 years old, but I played it for the 9001st time a couple weeks ago and still enjoyed the hell out of it. Plus, Zelda second quest isn’t just revolutionary, it’s singular. To my knowledge, no other video game included an almost wholly different second quest. Lots of games feature New Game +, but it’s always the exact same game only easier. Only Zelda invented whole new dungeons and locations for its second quest. I’ve only beaten it once. I should play second quest again.

- I am shocked, shocked, that Kickass ranked Street Fighter 2 arcade over Mortal Combat arcade. I would rank Street Fighter 2 higher, but I was much better at Street Fighter than I was at MK. In 1993, the only year that mattered for MK arcade, Dr. Kickass was literally the second best player in the world, he murdered me at it every time.

Here’s where I’m gonna have to call him out:

- Grand Theft Auto 3. This game causes a bit of a conundrum. It was revolutionary, and clearly the best game of it’s day (2001). However, one year later, Vice City introduced motorcycles, a far superior soundtrack, and interesting voice actors into the Grand Theft Auto universe, and thus made GTA3 essentially unplayable. Obviously, there could be no Vice City without GTA3. Then again, there could be no Ocarina without The Legend of Zelda. Ocarina is a brilliant game with amazing technical advances, and 10 years newer than the original Zelda. Yet, Ocarina makes Zelda no less playable. Vice City shut down GTA3 on the same platform one year later. San Andreas was even better than Vice City. When choosing a representative game for the GTA series o the PS2, San Andreas is undoubtedly the best. Prove me wrong. Try playing 2 hours into GTA3. You can’t. It’s more dated than games 10 or 20 years its senior.

- In the same type of category, I have to shoot down Dragon Warrior. It broke new ground, it has brilliant Engrish quotes, and it was the focus of my life for months. Nowadays, it’s unplayable. Try it. 97% of the game is saving money and raising levels. It’s wretched. I attempted to play through it again in 2006 when I was unemployed and literally had nothing better to do, and I couldn’t finish it.

- Sir, if you’re going fully cross-platform, I can’t believe you left out Digger and that unnecessary surgery game on the Cordata.

- I’m amazed that you picked Tecmo Super Bowl on the Genesis. Of all the Tecmo and Madden titles, Tecmo Super Bowl on Genesis was the only one that I consistently beat you at. You had no answer for Reggie White and Favre.

I can’t compare apples and rutabagas. Here’s my all time top 10 NES games:

10. Marble Madness
9. Ninja Gaiden
8. Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
7. Mega Man 2
6. Simon’s Quest
5. Tecmo Bowl
4. Metroid
3. Super Mario 3
2. The Legend of Zelda
1. Super Mario Bros

And yeah, I can’t believe I left off Dragon Warrior III and IV, Castlevania and Castlevania III, Ice Hockey, and what the hell, Rush N’ Attack.

Non-video game post tomorrow.

No comments:

Google