Friday, October 8, 2010

Another half-assed last minute effort

Oy vey, I’ve gotten to be so lazy lately. I was totally going to write a post on my America trip this week, I have a lot to talk about. I suppose I can try to be productive next week.

Writing wasn’t going to happen on Monday. I arrived back in Korea on Sunday evening after 23 hours of travel and 14 (!) hours in seat 36-C (no accident on that seat choice) on a Delta 777 between Detroit and Seoul. After all that, I woke up at 6 a.m. on Monday after passing out early Sunday night. Fortunately, there was plenty of football to watch between 6 a.m. and work time. After work Monday, I was wiped, definitely no writing.

I woke up at 9 a.m. on Tuesday. Still residual jet-lag effects. On the plus side, I was up in time to watch the horrible Bears-Giants Monday night game. After work, I had to start catching up on TV. Strangely, being in America left me far behind on American television. I found myself 2 or 3 episodes behind on Mad Men, Dexter, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Boardwalk Empire (which I haven’t started yet) and sadly The Apprentice, which is the only show that I watch that I actively hope will be cancelled so that I can stop watching it. I was caught up on 30 Rock and the Office, but I was also several episodes behind on The Daily Show and Colbert. I think It’s Always Sunny, South Park, and Eastbound and Down will have to wait until these other shows go to reruns this winter. I think only I could leave the country and end up watching even more TV.

I planned to write on Wednesday. This did not go according to plan. Like certain St Louis academics, I began the evening with a nice glass, then bottle, of wine with dinner. I dined on grilled chicken sauteed with onions, bell pepper, and chilies. It was lovely. Next, I brought my computer outside with the intention of writing at the convenience store patio. This area was populated by foreigners that I vaguely knew, so it would have been uncouth for me to turn my back on them without joining them for at least one beer. Two Korean guys that spoke next to no English were at the other table, and they bought us a large bottle of beer. We invited them to join us. They did. We went to a bar. The Korean dudes picked up the tab. Long story short, we ended up in environs that were not exactly East St Louis sketchy. but certainly not the most wholesome of locales that one could find oneself at 5 a.m. on a Wednesday night. At least adventure and daring are alive and well in Seoul.

I planned to write on Thursday. Thing is, it’s tough to get it together after an unexpected late-night boozefest. I was still well behind on TV, so it was TV party and sleep time.

That brings us to now. I’m at work. Time is short. As this is my first Friday back in town in some time, I’m certainly going out, leaving no time to put anything together about the America trip. I’ll try harder next week.

2 comments:

Kev B. said...

Lame. What's with seat 36-C?

Jack said...

i count two cree references... but he would never fail to capitalize a "b"... and sauteeing "lovely" things is, well, c'mon man the chiefs are 3-0, you just can't talk like that in these times...
war: you watch way too much fucking tv...

Google